Tuesday, December 02, 2008

With so many jobs lost in London why is there no extra space on the trains

I mentioned in an earlier post that thousands of people in London were loosing their jobs at the moment. It is strange but you really cannot tell if you are in and around the City of London. Have ALL the jobs been lost in Canary Warf? I would not know as I never go there. My train is just as full as it ever was, the 6:19 from Lee to Charing Cross is so full you cannot read a newspaper, you still cannot get on a tube in rush hour unless you live close to the end of a line, and the huge commuter army marching over London Bridge in the morning and evening rush does not appear to have diminished either.

Yet when I go to my usual sandwich bar Paulo and Claudio, the owners say business is terrible. I have to admit here and now to taking sandwiches for my lunch at the moment, but that is because in the West End of London where I end up most lunch times, it is so expensive and the queues are still very long that it is easier to take sandwiches, as well as the need to save money. As I have said before, a contractor taking sandwiches to work, times must be hard. But with the exchange rate between the Euro and the Pound approaching equilibrium I have to make savings where ever I can.

I must be thankful I am still working, it is not nice being unemployed, but I still can’t help wondering if there are thousands of Clives out there, still going to work even though they have been made redundant. Clive is the side kick of Alex in the cartoons of the same name published in the Daily Telegraph.

Well since I am employed I had better get on with some work….

Cheers

No comments: