Monday, October 26, 2009

The perfect Victoria Sponge Cake at last

Another weekend flies by, its strange but since I have stopped working flat out on the house the weekends seem to go by even faster.

I appear to be starting a new career reviewing cars, I have been hiring cars from Bordeaux airport to get home each weekend as it is almost as cheap as taking my own car to the airport and leaving it there all week. Sadly my reviews seem to be limited to the range of 1.5/1.6 diesels on offer from Avis, though it is suprising how different they all are. My favourite so far is the Peugeot 308 HDI, closely followed by the Renault Clio, then the car I had this weekend which was the new Seat Ibiza, a nice little car, very economical but lacking the power of the Peugeot.

We did not do a great deal this weekend, I tried and failed to fix 2 radiators on the central heating system which refused to get warm. I have a feeling that the delivery and return pipes have been crossed at some point, so the plumber has to come back and take a look.

I spent some time playing with Fleur, and for the first time in my life (I think) I won a game of Monopoly, it rained all day Saturday! The clocks went back on Sunday evening and of course everyone was up bright and early Sunday morning, human body clocks take longer to adjust than their mechanical/electronic counterparts.

Sunday morning was spend with Fleur in the Kitchen, making a cake, which we appear to have finally mastered, and we produced the perfect Victoria sponge cake, even though we say so ourselves, given another 6 months and I think Fleur will be able to make it on her own. We did manage to break our very old hand mixer in the process of making the cake, it has done us proud and probably originates from the late 70's so no complaints there apart from having to buy another one.

There was no blog last week as I was flying Ryanair back the UK, so what with queueing and lack of space on the aircraft there was no chance to blog.

I've got back into reading books in a big way and having just finished Freud On Course, Keith was the chap that got me excited about cooking, and I'm glad he stuck at it whilst I gave up, still trying to make up for lost time now.

No comments: