Sunday, October 14, 2007

One's flabber has been ghasted England in the final again!

Well I thought I had to add my comments to the rugby world's collective flabber being well and truly ghasted, how on earth are England in the Rugby World Cup final? I should have been on the 66/1 odds being offered at the beginning of the tournament instead of the 7/1 being offered before the semi against France. What a game, but am I alone in thinking that the victory was almost gifted to England by Bernard Laporte's substitutions, or was it just that after the French epic performance against NZ they only had 60 minutes left in tank to beat England. Either way it was England's fitness and willingness to put their collective bodies on the line that in the end drove us through as the French weakened, only slightly. It was not pretty, but then when England try to play pretty they get beaten, although I think the pre sub'd French team out rucked and mauled us in the first half and we did very well to hang in there with some great last man tackling.

I was handicapped in the second half as my daughter fell asleep on my lap preventing me from shouting any encouragement towards the TV, so when Jonny's drop kick went over after some typically perfect setup play from England, I could only give it the Jasper Carrot yup (as in the football supporter in the wrong part of the ground when the away team score sketch), when everything inside of me was going crazy with this uncontrollable desire to run around the room shouting and screaming.

I feel very sorry for the French who obviously gave everything, to get to the final and in many ways deserved to be there, but hey I am English and, despite living in France, I'm proud of it, at least most of the time.

Now I have to get back to the building work, we have a French farmhouse that still needs a lot of work.

No comments: