Sunday, March 30, 2008

Easter part 1.....

Well Easter came and went so fast it was almost a case of I blinked and nearly missed it. The weather was not great, lots of rain and snow for just about every part of France except the Charente. So what did we get up to, it started with Franca completing her assignment with the American film crew which went well and earned her/us a few hundred Euros. Franca said she will put the money towards a heavy duty Iron and Ironing board. Well I did my best to divert some of that money and we went to dinner on Friday night at Hotel Karina, I forgot it was Friday night and it was full of Brits on their fish and chip night, but hey ho. I did not really enjoy it, but Franca did and so did Fleur, I really just wanted to eat and sleep, but that’s because I have been travelling so much lately, not very friendly, but I guess we all have those moments.

Because Franca was out working I was house husband on Friday and spent most of the day taking Fleur to and from school and doing a lot of cleaning, but at the end of the day you still really can’t see what you have been cleaning. Still one day there will be no more building work and we can get rid of the ever present layer of dust that seems to pervade every corner of the house not matter how many times you vacuum, sweep and mop.

On Easter Saturday Fabiola & Patrick were coming to dinner, with Fabiola’s mother from Guatemala, so we made our version of the beouf bourguignon, which we are slowly perfecting. We have found a great cut of meat which is not too expensive and a set of ingredients and a method that gives us an excellent dish in 6 hours, or if left over night and reheated is even better. It is not a true bourguignon, but it is getting good reviews. Once we have got the recipe nailed down maybe I’ll publish it here. So the evening was a great success with 4 languages at least being spoken through out the evening.

My main building task over the Easter break was to get as much of the new scullery walled and ceilinged if there is such a word, but I guess I was over ambitious in my expectations and I have not got that much done. One complete new wall out of 6 sections that need doing, and one half complete, though that was the trickiest bit so hopefully I should be able to get section 2 finished when I go back and maybe make a start on section 3. Half the ceiling is up but still needs to be finished though I am running out of plaster board, and with the weather the way it is at the moment I can’t get any more delivered because we can’t leave it outside. Another bridge to cross a bit later…

No comments: