Monday, March 17, 2008

this St Patricks Day - stay safe

An extra entry as I am sat at another airport waiting for a flight. This time I am waiting at Shannon airport in South West Ireland waiting to fly back to the UK. I have been working at my ‘during the week job’, the one that pays for the French building work. I have been visiting our Irish software supplier. This will be my 4th flight this week, with Wednesday being the only day I have not been flying somewhere, such is the way of our modern life style, I must have a pretty big carbon footprint this week. I do have an offset this week, 4 trees have been delivered to Aubellefleur which will need planting out this weekend, thought I think something is going to have to make way for our mini orchard, otherwise our garden will be all trees and no open space.

It seems strange to me that here in south west Ireland the locals that live west of Limerick seems to talk with an American twang in their voice, not sure if that is the influence of Shannon airport, which is crawling with Americans arriving for St Patrick’s day weekend, or if this is where the original Irish American accent originated, my Irish history is pretty poor so I have no idea.

St Patrick’s day is of course a huge celebration in Ireland but what surprised me is the powerful messages being put out on the radio, that by Tuesday after the celebrations are over there are likely to be in the region of 20 people who will have died, mostly through drink driving related deaths over this one weekend, quite scary and the authorities are quite open about it, though it seems they are struggling to reduce it, so if your Irish stay safe this weekend, and enjoy…

It is strange that we British just cannot celebrate St Georges day in the same way as the other countries in the United Kingdom & Ireland do, and probably most other countries in the world, who have a national day. There seems to be something inherently bad about the English celebrating anything apart from the odd Jubilee.

Time to wander up to the gate and see if we are going to on one of Ryanair’s 90% of on time flights…

No comments: