Thursday, February 26, 2009

My train theory as a barometer of the state of the London economy

I still do not understand, the economy is in a downward spiral, with, sadly 1000s of people still loosing their jobs, and yet the commuter trains are still jam packed in the morning even at 6:00am, when I commute into the centre of London, and it's the same story in the evening.

A walk along the end of the road in evening, where I live during the week, may hold one of the answers, there are 4 restaurants within 200m of each other and, the other evening as I walked home from the station just before 9:00pm all 4 of them were empty. You can see a similar thing happening in Central London as well, but more especially in pubs in the city of London, so many of them are almost empty by 7:00pm, unless there is football on .

So after the 'massive' job losses in the banking sector in London, most of whom appear not to use trains, it is becoming evident that the next area being hit hard is the service sector, and most of those workers do not use the train either, so using the occupants of my train journey to work in the mornings and evenings, at least in the London area, is not a good barometer of the state of the economy at the moment, as the number of people commuting does not appear to have varied significantly. It could also just mean that members of the banking sector and service sector do not live in South East London.

So what can I conclude from this, most people that use commuter trains in my area are public sector workers? We will have to wait for the next general election before that theory is proved or disproved.

Meanwhile I will continue to fight for standing room on my daily commute to London. Oh and yes, I am working in the public sector...

No comments: