Monday, February 09, 2009

Snow snow snow

Well last week was an interesting week to say the least. Loads of snow falling in South East England meant last Mondays' flight from Limoges to Stansted was cancelled, forcing me to drive to the UK to get to work. All the way up from Sigogne to Lewisham it rained. I had no problems on the roads and I reached Lewisham in the time I normally do in the dry. I saw lots of laying snow from about Paris up wards to London, but I did not see a single snowflake fall.

Tuesday, I got the train in to the office, the train was almost empty and again no travel problems at all. Tuesday evening I decided I'd better get my car from the airport car park before I needed a mortgage to pay the exit fee, so I jumped on the Stansted Express for the 46 minute journey to the airport. 3 hours later I finally arrived at the airport after a points failure outside Stansted Airport meant the train had to go back to Bishops Stortford, that was after and hour of waiting for the points to be fixed, then the engineers deciding they could not fix it, so they sent the train back down the line to Bishops Stortford to catch a bus to the airport. So almost everyone on the train missed their flights that night, and I had a wasted evening.

Wednesday, and the great British public decided they would go back to work and so the trains were packed again, so I was lucky to actually get on the train at all.

Finally Thursday was a near normal day, though I had to go and meet my accountant so I had to sneak off early to drive to Southend, where I got bad news from the accountant and a hearty dinner from my mum. Friday morning saw me setting off at 5:00am for Dover. It was dry when I left London and there were just a few spots of rain as I got to Dover. The rest of the drive down to Sigogne was done in sunshine and rising temps so that by the time I got home it was 12 degrees. Mean while in the UK the South East had once again ground to a halt under a blanket of snow.

No comments: