Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sheep shed uncovered - maybe

Well Franca placed some photos of my handy work last weekend so here is some text to go with it. After 2 relatively easy weekends for me it as back to work with a vengeance last weekend. It was time to get down and dirty, well at least very dusty. I had to cut a slot in the concrete floor to put in a new toilet waste pipe to server 3 new toilets I am about to install. I then have to join the new waste pipe to the existing old one.

This meant taking out of action the bathroom and toilet we have been using for the last 2 years, gosh was it really that long.... and moving temporarily to one of the guest rooms upstairs whilst we go hell for leather to get the next two rooms finished in time for the summer. We have effectively reduced our capacity by one third at the moment, though being the quiet season it does not matter too much, as long as we are ready by June.

So big mess job number one was to cut the channel in the concrete slab, which took the whole weekend, by Saturday evening I had managed less than 3 feet and I thought I was going to have to give up until I could get some bigger tools, as my little angle grinder and electric hammer drill/chisel were making very slow work of breaking up the concrete, but Sunday saw me get a spurt on and I managed to get the vast majority of the channel dug out. In the process I found another floor under the concrete slab which may well have been where the sheep were kept, our house is a former sheep farm, and the previous owners told us they kept the sheep at the back of the house where I am now working.

Dust got absolutely everywhere in the house and it prompted a mass clean up on Sunday afternoon. I knew it was going to be bad because the angle grinder always creates a huge amount of dust, but just like pine needles from your Christmas tree, we will be clearing this dust up for ages to come.

No comments: